Thursday, May 31, 2012

1993: Top 50 Singles

Oops, I almost missed my deadline this month, but even at the last moment I have at last the 50 singles that make up Cool Music Central's "Best Singles of 1993" list, which you can check out here!

As usual, I've gone through, literally, hundreds of single and EP releases from the year at hand before applying the special C.M.C. filters and narrowing the list down to the 50 "best", meaning, of course, my personal faves. In the end the race for Single of the Year for 1993 was won by Girls Against Boys debut release for Touch And Go, the mighty fine "Bulletproof Cupid". I was lucky enough to see GVSB live at London's Garage venue that year and I can honestly say it was one of the most exhilarating rock shows I've ever witnessed. My favorite moment: my head being just inches away from Johnny Temple's bass as the band unleashed "Bulletproof Cupid", the ultimate highlight of a tremendous night!

Other stellar singles from 1993 include The Breeders' smash hit "Cannonball", Elastica's debut "Stutter", P.J. Harvey's fiery "50ft Queenie", one of the many highlights from our 1993 Album of the Year "Rid Of Me", and The Afghan Whigs' "Gentlemen" - actually, as I'm writing these lines I'm watching the Whigs in action, live from Primavera Sound '12 here, while just a couple of days ago I saw them here in Athens in a truly awesome gig which will be the subject of our next post (coming soon)!

Here's our Top 10 Singles of 1993 - click here for the complete Top 50:

1.   Bulletproof Cupid - GIRLS AGAINST BOYS
2.   Cannonball - THE BREEDERS
3.   Stutter - ELASTICA
4.   50ft Queenie - P.J. HARVEY
5.   Gentlemen - THE AFGHAN WHIGS
6.   Today - THE SMASHING PUMPKINS
7.   Sugar Kane - SONIC YOUTH
8.   Uranus - SHELLAC
9.   All Apologies / Rape Me - NIRVANA
10. Beautiful Son - HOLE

Listen to our 1993 selections by pressing play below:


1993 Singles by ody on Grooveshark

No comments: