Time for our monthly trip back to the '90s, with another killer playlist featuring our favorite singles from 1998.
Despite a recent “gleeful” attempt to ruin it, “Celebrity Skin” retains its captivating glam rock glow after all these years and remains one of the best moments of '90s alternative rock. The lead single from Hole's third album of the same name was co-written by Courtney Love, Eric Erlandson and Billy Corgan and became the band’s most commercially successful release, reaching number one on the Modern Rock Tracks chart. The song on the b-side of the single, the gorgeous “Best Sunday Dress” (co-written with Babes In Toyland’s Kat Bjelland and originally recorded by their short-lived band Pagan Babies in 1985) is another reason for naming “Celebrity Skin” our Single of the Year for 1998.
1. Celebrity Skin - HOLE
2. Waltz #2 (XO) - ELLIOTT SMITH
3. Goddess On A Hiway - MERCURY REV
4. Somethin' Hot - THE AFGHAN WHIGS
5. Space Lord - MONSTER MAGNET
6. Boys Better - THE DANDY WARHOLS
7. Intergalactic - BEASTIE BOYS
8. Sunday - SONIC YOUTH
9. A Perfect Day Elise - PJ HARVEY
10. Talk About The Blues - THE JON SPENCER BLUES EXPLOSION
The 1998 playlist: